It’s always fascinating to see footage that predicts how life on the planet will be in the future. Especially when the film was made over 45 years ago!
Trying to look into the future has fuelled literature and the film industry for decades. From George Orwell’s 1984 – actually written in 1948, he just reversed the last two digits of the year for the book’s title – to Star Wars and Star Trek.
Here we have a classic TV programme from The US, again trying to predict how things would change in decades to come.
The CBS show The 21st Century – broadcast on March 12th 1967, with legendary newsman Walter Cronkite – tried to predict exactly what we’d be doing at home and work in the future.
So how did it really turn out for us? Watch the video and find out….
[More Information: Forum For The Future
Like WOW Planet Earth on Facebook:
Next Up: More From WOW Planet Earth
- Wanderers: Short Film Explores A Vision Of What Our Future In Space Might Actually Look Like. Based On Research By NASA [Video]
- War And Propaganda: Thought-Provoking Film/ Animation ‘Daddy Went Daddy Did’ – Inspired by The War Effort Slogan ‘Daddy What Did YOU Do In The Great War?’ [Video]
- 888,246 Ceramic Poppies Fill The Moat At The Tower Of London – Spectacular Aerial View Of The First World War Memorial [Video]
- A Way To Live – Will’s Humble And Inspirational Interpretation On Life And Living [Video]
- Travel, Snow-boarding And Life In The Mountains From An Athlete’s Perspective [Video]
- A Battle For Peace: 60 Seconds Of Powerful Animated Film Forms Part Of A Memorable Tribute To The Centenary Of The Start Of The First World War [Video]
- Carnivorous Plants: The Carnivorous Garden Is The Ultimate Horror Movie For Insects. Superb Time-lapse Footage Captures The Hidden Dark Side Of Plants [Video]
- Roman Remains In Europe – Take An Amazing Aerial Tour By Drone Cam And Explore Some Of The Most Memorable Scenes In Europe [Video]
- The Matterhorn – 150th Anniversary Of The First Climb By Edward Whymper And Team [Video]
- Contemporary Photographers: An Exploration Of Their Work And Practices. An Unconventional And Innovative Film By Tyrone Lebon [Video]
- Charlie Chicken, Canine Artist – An Affectionate Look At Dogs, Life And Art In New York City [Video]
- And The Walls Came Tumbling Down – 25th Anniversary Of The Fall Of The Berlin Wall
- Hong Kong – City Of Colour, Contrast and Contradictions. Life Through The Lens Of A Traveller [Video]
- Sammy The Explorer: How Surfing And Safe Drinking Water Changed His Life. In Sumba, Indonesia [Video]
- Crash, Get Back-Up And Learn – Important Life Lessons Of A Free Skiing Athlete That Can Inspire Us All [Video]
- Stunning Photography Of The Role Played In Nature, By The Life And Death Of Salmon In Alaska [Video]
- Havana, Cuba: It’s Difficult Not To Be Charmed By The People And This Beautiful City
- Life on the Ice. Gould Bay, Antarctica | Wow! Planet Earth
- Hong Kong In The 1950s – Through The Lens Of A Teenage Street Photographer
- Full Moon Silhouettes – Extraordinary Footage Of The Moon Rising Over Wellington, New Zealand [Video]
- A World Without Time – Stunning Time-Lapse Film Reveals The Ever-Changing Beauty Of Nature [Video]
- Experience Human Flight – Skydiving In Australia: #1 of 3 [Video]
- Christ The Redeemer, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. Amazing Film Shows Inside The Statue And Stunning Views From The Top
- Experience Freedom – BASE Jumping With Wing Suits: #3 of 3 [Video]
- Experience Zero Gravity – BASE Jumping in Europe: #2 of 3 [Video]
- Hong Kong – A Farewell Love Letter To The City [Video]
- Spring To Come – Charming Animated Film Captures The Longing For Spring. Featuring The Music Of The John Butler Trio [Video]
- Times Square, New York: Why Do People Love Times Square? This Film Asks Them Why [Video]
- Starling Murmuration – A Beautiful Bird Ballet In The Sky [Video]
- Animated Film, Ground Floor – Subjective City Of A Mistaken Mind [Video]