Festivals are an essential part of global life and function as an important way in which cultures still retain their unique identity, in an increasingly homogenised world.
Karapan Sapi is a classic example, a traditional bull racing festival on the Indonesian island of Madura.
Every year from about July through October, local bulls are yoked to wooden skids and raced for 130 meters, similar to a chariot race.
The Karapan Sapi began as a way to show off powerful bulls best for plowing the field and has since evolved into a tradition that takes on a festival atmosphere complete with food and entertainment.
Two bulls are hitched together by a decorative yoke created by local artists. The yoke is connected to a wooden apparatus that looks a bit like a small ladder that hangs behind them. This is where the jockey perches, barefoot. The jockeys then grab the tails of the bulls, balancing on the wooden perch.
There are several of these races throughout the season, and there is a final trophy race held in Pamekasan. The bulls participating in the event are adorned with gold and other decorations, and the event may be accompanied by Gamelan music, food, and wagers on the outcome of the race.
The pictures below capture the energy of the moment superbly, as the riders desperately hang-on as the fearsome power of the bulls is unleashed:
[More Information: Karapan Sapi Festival
| Modern Farmer
Image Gallery: Click To View | Share
Should we still be including animals as part of our festivals/ entertainment? If not, do we risk losing part of our living history and culture? And who decides?
Like WOW Planet Earth on Facebook:
Next Up: More From WOW Planet Earth
- Hong Kong In The 1950s – Through The Lens Of A Teenage Street Photographer
- Contemporary Photographers: An Exploration Of Their Work And Practices. An Unconventional And Innovative Film By Tyrone Lebon [Video]
- Ghost Peloton: Cycling, Performance Art And Choreography To Celebrate Le Grande Depart, Yorkshire – Tour De France 2014
- Sammy The Explorer: How Surfing And Safe Drinking Water Changed His Life. In Sumba, Indonesia [Video]
- Banksy Street Art – The (Nearly) Complete Works Of Banksy. 200+ Images Capture His Best Work To Date
- The Lighthouse – As The Storm Breaks. The Calm After The Storm [P.O.D.]
- Full Moon Silhouettes – Extraordinary Footage Of The Moon Rising Over Wellington, New Zealand [Video]
- Hong Kong – City Of Colour, Contrast and Contradictions. Life Through The Lens Of A Traveller [Video]
- Hong Kong – A Farewell Love Letter To The City [Video]
- In Damascus, Syria: Set To The Words Of The Acclaimed Palestinian Poet Mahmoud Darwish, This Film Explores The 11,000 Year Old City [Video]
- Seat 22 — Trans-Siberian Odyssey: Experience One Of The Greatest Railway Journeys Of The World [Video]
- Times Square, New York: Why Do People Love Times Square? This Film Asks Them Why [Video]
- Forest Man: Inspirational True Story Of One Man’s Fight To Save His Island [Video]
- Havana, Cuba: It’s Difficult Not To Be Charmed By The People And This Beautiful City
- Hedgehog Escapes Suburbia: Saving Harry Tells The Story Of Real-Life Issues Facing Urban Hedgehogs With A Beautiful Animated Film [Video]
- Mountain Running: ‘The Ingenious Choice’ Explores The World Of Mountain Runner Anton Krupicka As He Takes Part In The Ultra-Trail Du Mont Blanc [Video]
- Delivery By Drone? Pioneering New Means Of Delivery – Expect Reports Of Collisions, Wrong Addresses And Perhaps Even Air Piracy Sometime Soon
- War And Propaganda: Thought-Provoking Film/ Animation ‘Daddy Went Daddy Did’ – Inspired by The War Effort Slogan ‘Daddy What Did YOU Do In The Great War?’ [Video]
- Bicycle Crazy? You May Well Be, But Would You Honestly Try This? The Man Who Lived On His Bike [Video]
- 7000 Balloons Create A Striking Reminder For The 25th Anniversary Of The Fall Of The Berlin Wall
- World’s Largest Underwater Sculpture Supports Both The Ocean And A Coral Reef
- Christ The Redeemer, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. Amazing Film Shows Inside The Statue And Stunning Views From The Top
- 888,246 Ceramic Poppies Fill The Moat At The Tower Of London – Spectacular Aerial View Of The First World War Memorial [Video]
- Animated Film, Ground Floor – Subjective City Of A Mistaken Mind [Video]
- Columbus, Ohio – Arts, Community And The Creative Fight Against Gentrification In Our Cities [Video]
- Charlie Chicken, Canine Artist – An Affectionate Look At Dogs, Life And Art In New York City [Video]
- Snowboarding At Night! Glowing Snowboarder Filmed Wearing An LED Suit In The French Alps – Set Beautifully To Music [Video]
- Wanderers: Short Film Explores A Vision Of What Our Future In Space Might Actually Look Like. Based On Research By NASA [Video]
- Human Consciousness: Off-The-Wall Animation On Human Consciousness – What Makes Us Who We Are? [Video]
- Table Mountain, Cape Town, South Africa | Wow! Planet Earth