More than one million people are expected to visit Berlin this weekend as the German city celebrates the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, according to tourist organization Visit Berlin.
Some visitors from Germany and around the world on Saturday took pictures in front of the graffiti-covered remnants of the Wall, the AFP reports. Others observed the 7,000 white balloons that are tethered along the Wall’s path and will be released Sunday to conclude three days of festivities. The installation, called Lichtgrenze or ‘Light Wall’ creates a striking reminder of the wall which once severed Berlin into two.
“I think you never forget how you felt that day — at least I will never forget it,” said German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who grew up in the East Germany, in one of her podcasts. “I had to wait 35 years for that feeling of liberty. It changed my life.”
The Wall, which was established by East Germany in 1961 and was roughly 96 miles long, split the already-divided country’s capital into West Berlin and East Berlin. After weeks of civil protests, the government of Eastern Germany opened up the partition on Nov. 9, 1989, allowing residents to travel to the west side. The chipping away of the wall followed, but its actual demolition didn’t truly begin until the following year, just a few months before Germany would officially reunite.
[More information: Time Magazine
The pictures below show some of the 7000 balloons – some next to remaining sections of the wall and others reminding us all of where it once was:
Image Gallery – Click To View | Share
Like WOW Planet Earth on Facebook:
[shareaholic app=”recommendations” id=”11426671″]
Next Up: More From WOW Planet Earth
- And The Walls Came Tumbling Down – 25th Anniversary Of The Fall Of The Berlin Wall
- War And Propaganda: Thought-Provoking Film/ Animation ‘Daddy Went Daddy Did’ – Inspired by The War Effort Slogan ‘Daddy What Did YOU Do In The Great War?’ [Video]
- 888,246 Ceramic Poppies Fill The Moat At The Tower Of London – Spectacular Aerial View Of The First World War Memorial [Video]
- A Moment Abroad: A Short Symphony To Travel In Europe. Time-Lapse Film Combined With Music Creates A Memorable Journey [Video]
- The Matterhorn – 150th Anniversary Of The First Climb By Edward Whymper And Team [Video]
- Ghost Peloton: Cycling, Performance Art And Choreography To Celebrate Le Grande Depart, Yorkshire – Tour De France 2014
- Hong Kong In The 1950s – Through The Lens Of A Teenage Street Photographer
- A Battle For Peace: 60 Seconds Of Powerful Animated Film Forms Part Of A Memorable Tribute To The Centenary Of The Start Of The First World War [Video]
- Times Square, New York: Why Do People Love Times Square? This Film Asks Them Why [Video]
- Giant Siberian Sinkhole: Huge Hole Mysteriously Appears In The Yamal Peninsular
- Roman Remains In Europe – Take An Amazing Aerial Tour By Drone Cam And Explore Some Of The Most Memorable Scenes In Europe [Video]
- Vernazza, Italy – Panoramic Sunset Over The Sea [P.O.D.]
- Travel, Snow-boarding And Life In The Mountains From An Athlete’s Perspective [Video]
- Delivery By Drone? Pioneering New Means Of Delivery – Expect Reports Of Collisions, Wrong Addresses And Perhaps Even Air Piracy Sometime Soon
- Experience Zero Gravity – BASE Jumping in Europe: #2 of 3 [Video]
- The Manchester Eye, England | Wow! Planet Earth
- One Morning In Italy – A Light-Hearted Romp Around The Leaning Tower Of Pisa [Video]
- Snowboarding At Night! Glowing Snowboarder Filmed Wearing An LED Suit In The French Alps – Set Beautifully To Music [Video]
- South Yorkshire, England | Wow! Planet Earth
- Havana, Cuba: It’s Difficult Not To Be Charmed By The People And This Beautiful City
- Wanderment: Beautiful North American Landscapes Captured By Superb Time-Lapse Photography [Video]
- Columbus, Ohio – Arts, Community And The Creative Fight Against Gentrification In Our Cities [Video]
- Bicycle Crazy? You May Well Be, But Would You Honestly Try This? The Man Who Lived On His Bike [Video]
- 10 Fabulous Pictures Of The Karapan Sapi Festival In Madura, Indonesia. The Fine Art Of Bull-Skating!
- Surfing: Superb Footage Of Surfing By Elite Athletes – Captured At 1000 Frames Per Second By Chris Bryan Films [Video]
- This Photograph Certainly Proves That Even Dogs Dream Of World Peace…..
- Life on the Ice. Gould Bay, Antarctica | Wow! Planet Earth
- The Perfect Storm? Footage Of A Pathfinder Pilot Boat In Heavy Seas Shows The Full Force Of Mother Nature. Sea-Sickness Warning Applies [Video]
- Spring To Come – Charming Animated Film Captures The Longing For Spring. Featuring The Music Of The John Butler Trio [Video]
- Zebras Everywhere! Taking Turns To Rest Their Heads On Each Other’s Backs