Once they enter fresh water the salmon stop feeding and morph into an aggressive creature intent only on mating. After spawning, they die and their bodies become a source of nutrients for everything in the forest and sea.
Alaska did not always have healthy stocks of salmon. The salmon catch grew rapidly with the expansion of the cannery capacity through 1920. This led to over fishing, which resulted in such low salmon stocks that President Eisenhower declared Alaska a federal disaster area in 1953. In fact, in 1959, statewide harvests totaled only about 25 million salmon, which is less than 20% of current sustained production.
This was a major factor in the declines of the Alaska salmon fishery that occurred between 1920 and 1959. Alaska achieved statehood in the year of 1959. After analysis, it was clear that the reason for the decline was the lack of implementation of the federal policies in place before statehood. Furthermore, the Federal government failed to provide the financial resources needed to manage and research salmon stocks and fisheries such that fishing could be regulated and depressed stocks could be rehabilitated.
The decline was temporarily arrested after Alaska became a state and instituted new conservation measures. However, the inexorable entry of more technological fishing gear coincided with further decline to record low levels in 1972. This decline helped promote the enclosure of the salmon fishery in 1973 under a limited entry permit system. Since then the catch has rebounded to near-record levels due to Alaska’s salmon management.
Shot over the course of three weeks with a Canon 5d and a GoPro camera.
Sound: Richard Nelson, Hank Lentfer, Riley Woodford and Henk Meeuwsen
Music: Smetana – Má Vlast (The Moldau) and Górecki – Symphony No. 3: Il Lento E Largo
[More Information: Paul Klaver on Vimeo
; Paul Klaver
; Alaska Salmon
Like WOW Planet Earth on Facebook:
Next Up: More From WOW Planet Earth
- Wanderment: Beautiful North American Landscapes Captured By Superb Time-Lapse Photography [Video]
- Natural Beauty – Seen Through A Combination Of Animation And Time-Lapse Photography [Video]
- The Denali Experiment: An Expedition To Climb, Ski and Snowboard Denali, Alaska [Video]
- Carnivorous Plants: The Carnivorous Garden Is The Ultimate Horror Movie For Insects. Superb Time-lapse Footage Captures The Hidden Dark Side Of Plants [Video]
- A World Without Time – Stunning Time-Lapse Film Reveals The Ever-Changing Beauty Of Nature [Video]
- Charlie Chicken, Canine Artist – An Affectionate Look At Dogs, Life And Art In New York City [Video]
- Sammy The Explorer: How Surfing And Safe Drinking Water Changed His Life. In Sumba, Indonesia [Video]
- Laughing Owl – Now You’ve Seen Everything. How A Small Tweak To A 15 Second Video Sent It Viral [Video]
- Starling Murmuration – A Beautiful Bird Ballet In The Sky [Video]
- Hedgehog Escapes Suburbia: Saving Harry Tells The Story Of Real-Life Issues Facing Urban Hedgehogs With A Beautiful Animated Film [Video]
- Mountain Running: ‘The Ingenious Choice’ Explores The World Of Mountain Runner Anton Krupicka As He Takes Part In The Ultra-Trail Du Mont Blanc [Video]
- Young Elephant vs 14 Lions: Unexpected Outcome As A Young Elephant Is Attacked By A Pride Of Female Lions [Video]
- The Perfect Storm? Footage Of A Pathfinder Pilot Boat In Heavy Seas Shows The Full Force Of Mother Nature. Sea-Sickness Warning Applies [Video]
- Hawk vs Drone! Find Out Which One Wins During A Mid-Air Attack On Unmanned Quadcopter/ Drone Cam [Video]
- Columbus, Ohio – Arts, Community And The Creative Fight Against Gentrification In Our Cities [Video]
- Grand Canyon – A Cloud Inversion And The ‘Grandest Hike On Earth’?
- Times Square, New York: Why Do People Love Times Square? This Film Asks Them Why [Video]
- Bicycle Crazy? You May Well Be, But Would You Honestly Try This? The Man Who Lived On His Bike [Video]
- Surfing: Superb Footage Of Surfing By Elite Athletes – Captured At 1000 Frames Per Second By Chris Bryan Films [Video]
- Hong Kong In The 1950s – Through The Lens Of A Teenage Street Photographer
- If You Want A Great View Of New York City, Then This Penthouse Is Perfect. There’s Only One Catch…..
- California Sunset | Wow! Planet Earth
- Mono Lake Tufa, California | Wow! Planet Earth
- Golden California Live Oaks Silhouette | Wow! Planet Earth
- Under the Docks in California | Wow! Planet Earth
- Aurora Borealis Over Canada (NASA) | Wow! Planet Earth
- New York City Skyline – Sunrise Over An Icy City [P.O.D.]
- Forest Man: Inspirational True Story Of One Man’s Fight To Save His Island [Video]
- Astronaut – A Journey To Space. Dynamic And Fast – Experience Earth From Space With The International Space Station Travelling At 28,000km/h [Video]
- One Morning In Italy – A Light-Hearted Romp Around The Leaning Tower Of Pisa [Video]