In a recent article we discussed the work of Jason de Caires Taylor, who creates underwater sculptures that also act as structures upon which corals can attach and grow.
See: Underwater Sculpture
But artificial reefs are also created by governments and organisations around the world using hardware that is surplus to requirements or passed it’s ‘sell-buy’ date.
[More Information: Artificial Reef
Take a look at the photographs below of some of the projects from around the world. You’ll be amazed what we are dumping in our oceans in the name of conservation!
U.S. military missile-tracking Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg passes the historic Custom House in Key West
Before being sunk…
The reef begin…
The Oriskany, a decommissioned aircraft carrier, was towed 24 miles off the coast of Pensacola, Florida
Sinking slowly to the bottom….
HMNZS Wellington, a frigate of the Royal New Zealand Navy, was scuttled off the south coast of Wellington, New Zealand.
Ex-Royal Navy frigate, The Scylla, is sunk amidst explosions off Whitsands Bay, Cornwall, England.
25 retired tanks from the Thai military are loaded on a ship at Bangkok port, Thailand, before being dumped into the Gulf of Thailand to serve as artificial reefs
Heading to their final resting place in the Gulf of Thailand
Tank of the Jordanian government sunk into the Gulf of Aqaba in the Red Sea
40 retired New York City subway cars were sunk in an area known as the “Bass Grounds” to form a reef for marine habitat.
A worker steam-cleans the interior of a decommissioned New York City “Redbird” subway car before heading out to Cape May, New Jersey.
Former Bulgarian dictator Todor Zhivkov’s plane sunk in the Black Sea near Varna
US Navy’s A-6 Intruder aircraft head out for a burial at sea, near St. Augustine, Florida
Image Gallery: Click To View | Share
Like WOW Planet Earth on Facebook:
Next Up: More From WOW Planet Earth
- World’s Largest Underwater Sculpture Supports Both The Ocean And A Coral Reef
- The Perfect Storm? Footage Of A Pathfinder Pilot Boat In Heavy Seas Shows The Full Force Of Mother Nature. Sea-Sickness Warning Applies [Video]
- Hedgehog Escapes Suburbia: Saving Harry Tells The Story Of Real-Life Issues Facing Urban Hedgehogs With A Beautiful Animated Film [Video]
- Surfing: Superb Footage Of Surfing By Elite Athletes – Captured At 1000 Frames Per Second By Chris Bryan Films [Video]
- Roman Remains In Europe – Take An Amazing Aerial Tour By Drone Cam And Explore Some Of The Most Memorable Scenes In Europe [Video]
- Sammy The Explorer: How Surfing And Safe Drinking Water Changed His Life. In Sumba, Indonesia [Video]
- Travel, Snow-boarding And Life In The Mountains From An Athlete’s Perspective [Video]
- Christ The Redeemer, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. Amazing Film Shows Inside The Statue And Stunning Views From The Top
- Grand Canyon – A Cloud Inversion And The ‘Grandest Hike On Earth’?
- Ghost Peloton: Cycling, Performance Art And Choreography To Celebrate Le Grande Depart, Yorkshire – Tour De France 2014
- Superb Time-Lapse Film Of Ships Using The Panama Canal [Video]
- Astronaut – A Journey To Space. Dynamic And Fast – Experience Earth From Space With The International Space Station Travelling At 28,000km/h [Video]
- Animated Film, Ground Floor – Subjective City Of A Mistaken Mind [Video]
- War And Propaganda: Thought-Provoking Film/ Animation ‘Daddy Went Daddy Did’ – Inspired by The War Effort Slogan ‘Daddy What Did YOU Do In The Great War?’ [Video]
- 888,246 Ceramic Poppies Fill The Moat At The Tower Of London – Spectacular Aerial View Of The First World War Memorial [Video]
- Full Moon Silhouettes – Extraordinary Footage Of The Moon Rising Over Wellington, New Zealand [Video]
- This Photograph Certainly Proves That Even Dogs Dream Of World Peace…..
- Times Square, New York: Why Do People Love Times Square? This Film Asks Them Why [Video]
- Experience Zero Gravity – BASE Jumping in Europe: #2 of 3 [Video]
- Experience Human Flight – Skydiving In Australia: #1 of 3 [Video]
- Experience Freedom – BASE Jumping With Wing Suits: #3 of 3 [Video]
- Electronics Afterlife: One Man’s Cross-Atlantic Journey Reveals The Truth About Electronics Recycling [Video]
- Havana, Cuba: It’s Difficult Not To Be Charmed By The People And This Beautiful City
- Seat 22 — Trans-Siberian Odyssey: Experience One Of The Greatest Railway Journeys Of The World [Video]
- Giant Siberian Sinkhole: Huge Hole Mysteriously Appears In The Yamal Peninsular
- A World Without Time – Stunning Time-Lapse Film Reveals The Ever-Changing Beauty Of Nature [Video]
- A Battle For Peace: 60 Seconds Of Powerful Animated Film Forms Part Of A Memorable Tribute To The Centenary Of The Start Of The First World War [Video]
- Natural Beauty – Seen Through A Combination Of Animation And Time-Lapse Photography [Video]
- And The Walls Came Tumbling Down – 25th Anniversary Of The Fall Of The Berlin Wall
- If You Want A Great View Of New York City, Then This Penthouse Is Perfect. There’s Only One Catch…..