Thiago Correa is one lucky guy.
Not many people have the opportunity to visit, let alone go inside statue ‘Christ The Redeemer’, perched high on the Corcovado Mountain overlooking Rio De Janeiro in Brazil.
Armed with a videocam and an extension pole, he films himself both inside the statue and emerging from the top. The footage at the top is amazing and if you can’t visit yourself, then this video is surely the next best thing.
Image: At the top of the statue
Christ The Redeemer
Christ the Redeemer is an Art Deco statue of Jesus Christ in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, created by French sculptor Paul Landowski and built by the engineer Heitor da Silva Costa Brazil in collaboration with the French engineer Albert Caquot. It is 30 metres (98 ft) tall, not including its 8-metre (26 ft) pedestal, and its arms stretch 28 metres (92 ft) wide.
The statue weighs 635 tonnes (625 long, 700 short tons), and is located at the peak of the 700-metre (2,300 ft) Corcovado mountain in the Tijuca Forest National Park overlooking the city of Rio. As a symbol of Brazilian Christianity, the statue has become an icon for Rio de Janeiro and Brazil. It is made of reinforced concrete and soapstone, and was constructed between 1922 and 1931.
[More Information: Christ The Redeemer
Like WOW Planet Earth on Facebook:
Next Up: More From WOW Planet Earth
- In Damascus, Syria: Set To The Words Of The Acclaimed Palestinian Poet Mahmoud Darwish, This Film Explores The 11,000 Year Old City [Video]
- World’s Largest Underwater Sculpture Supports Both The Ocean And A Coral Reef
- Roman Remains In Europe – Take An Amazing Aerial Tour By Drone Cam And Explore Some Of The Most Memorable Scenes In Europe [Video]
- Havana, Cuba: It’s Difficult Not To Be Charmed By The People And This Beautiful City
- Grand Canyon – A Cloud Inversion And The ‘Grandest Hike On Earth’?
- Jordan: Travel And See Jordan In A Very Different Light. Tilt-Shift Film Described As ‘Lawrence of Arabia Meets Indiana Jones and Gulliver’s Travels!’ [Video]
- A Moment Abroad: A Short Symphony To Travel In Europe. Time-Lapse Film Combined With Music Creates A Memorable Journey [Video]
- Hong Kong – A Farewell Love Letter To The City [Video]
- Times Square, New York: Why Do People Love Times Square? This Film Asks Them Why [Video]
- Hong Kong – City Of Colour, Contrast and Contradictions. Life Through The Lens Of A Traveller [Video]
- The Matterhorn – 150th Anniversary Of The First Climb By Edward Whymper And Team [Video]
- Columbus, Ohio – Arts, Community And The Creative Fight Against Gentrification In Our Cities [Video]
- Maybe If You Lived Here This Place Would Seem Normal – But To Everyone Else It’s Extraordinary
- New York City Skyline – Sunrise Over An Icy City [P.O.D.]
- Superb Time-Lapse Film Of Ships Using The Panama Canal [Video]
- Wanderment: Beautiful North American Landscapes Captured By Superb Time-Lapse Photography [Video]
- Wanderers: Short Film Explores A Vision Of What Our Future In Space Might Actually Look Like. Based On Research By NASA [Video]
- The Denali Experiment: An Expedition To Climb, Ski and Snowboard Denali, Alaska [Video]
- Surfing: Superb Footage Of Surfing By Elite Athletes – Captured At 1000 Frames Per Second By Chris Bryan Films [Video]
- Travel, Snow-boarding And Life In The Mountains From An Athlete’s Perspective [Video]
- One Morning In Italy – A Light-Hearted Romp Around The Leaning Tower Of Pisa [Video]
- Seat 22 — Trans-Siberian Odyssey: Experience One Of The Greatest Railway Journeys Of The World [Video]
- Astronaut – A Journey To Space. Dynamic And Fast – Experience Earth From Space With The International Space Station Travelling At 28,000km/h [Video]
- Sammy The Explorer: How Surfing And Safe Drinking Water Changed His Life. In Sumba, Indonesia [Video]
- Snowboarding At Night! Glowing Snowboarder Filmed Wearing An LED Suit In The French Alps – Set Beautifully To Music [Video]
- Young Elephant vs 14 Lions: Unexpected Outcome As A Young Elephant Is Attacked By A Pride Of Female Lions [Video]
- Ghost Peloton: Cycling, Performance Art And Choreography To Celebrate Le Grande Depart, Yorkshire – Tour De France 2014
- Artificial Reefs: You’ll Be Amazed What We Are Dumping In Our Oceans – All In The Name Of Conservation
- Animated Film, Ground Floor – Subjective City Of A Mistaken Mind [Video]
- Charlie Chicken, Canine Artist – An Affectionate Look At Dogs, Life And Art In New York City [Video]