For centuries man dreamed of flight. Now with modern technology and brave pioneers who have pushed the limits, we are perhaps as close to experiencing it as we ever will. Don’t feel like jumping out of a plane or from a cliff edge with a parachute? Then just enjoy this trilogy of films and experience flight from the comfort of your computer.
In February 2011, the five times world champions Fred Fugen and Vince Reffett from Soul Flyers were invited to Melbourne to provide advanced 3D coaching to some of Australia’s leading Skydive athlete talent.
This film is the first instalment of a trilogy:
Chapter 1: Experience Human Flight
Chapter 2: Experience Zero Gravity
Chapter 3: Experience Freedom
Parachuting, or skydiving, is the action sport of exiting an aircraft and returning to Earth with the aid of gravity, then slowing down during the last part of the descent by using a parachute. It may or may not involve a certain amount of free-fall, a time during which the parachute has not been deployed and the body gradually accelerates to terminal velocity.
Andre-Jacques Garnerin was the first to make successful descents using a canvas canopy and small basket, tethered beneath a hot-air balloon. The first intentional freefall jump with a ripcord-operated deployment is credited to Leslie Irvin in 1919.
The military developed parachuting technology as a way to save aircrews from emergencies aboard balloons and aircraft in flight, and later as a way of delivering soldiers to the battlefield. Early competitions date back to the 1930s, and it became an international sport in 1952.
Shot with a GoPro camera
Music: She Is by Alex Khaskin
[More Information: Infinity List
; Experience Series
; Parachuting/ Skydiving
Like WOW Planet Earth on Facebook:
Next Up: More From WOW Planet Earth
- Experience Freedom – BASE Jumping With Wing Suits: #3 of 3 [Video]
- Experience Zero Gravity – BASE Jumping in Europe: #2 of 3 [Video]
- A Way To Live – Will’s Humble And Inspirational Interpretation On Life And Living [Video]
- Natural Beauty – Seen Through A Combination Of Animation And Time-Lapse Photography [Video]
- Crash, Get Back-Up And Learn – Important Life Lessons Of A Free Skiing Athlete That Can Inspire Us All [Video]
- Sammy The Explorer: How Surfing And Safe Drinking Water Changed His Life. In Sumba, Indonesia [Video]
- Snowboarding At Night! Glowing Snowboarder Filmed Wearing An LED Suit In The French Alps – Set Beautifully To Music [Video]
- Travel, Snow-boarding And Life In The Mountains From An Athlete’s Perspective [Video]
- Mountain Running: ‘The Ingenious Choice’ Explores The World Of Mountain Runner Anton Krupicka As He Takes Part In The Ultra-Trail Du Mont Blanc [Video]
- Surfing: Superb Footage Of Surfing By Elite Athletes – Captured At 1000 Frames Per Second By Chris Bryan Films [Video]
- Electronics Afterlife: One Man’s Cross-Atlantic Journey Reveals The Truth About Electronics Recycling [Video]
- Surf Western Australia | Wow! Planet Earth
- Full Moon Silhouettes – Extraordinary Footage Of The Moon Rising Over Wellington, New Zealand [Video]
- Bicycle Crazy? You May Well Be, But Would You Honestly Try This? The Man Who Lived On His Bike [Video]
- Human Consciousness: Off-The-Wall Animation On Human Consciousness – What Makes Us Who We Are? [Video]
- Times Square, New York: Why Do People Love Times Square? This Film Asks Them Why [Video]
- The Denali Experiment: An Expedition To Climb, Ski and Snowboard Denali, Alaska [Video]
- Seat 22 — Trans-Siberian Odyssey: Experience One Of The Greatest Railway Journeys Of The World [Video]
- Charlie Chicken, Canine Artist – An Affectionate Look At Dogs, Life And Art In New York City [Video]
- Spring To Come – Charming Animated Film Captures The Longing For Spring. Featuring The Music Of The John Butler Trio [Video]
- This Photograph Certainly Proves That Even Dogs Dream Of World Peace…..
- A Moment Abroad: A Short Symphony To Travel In Europe. Time-Lapse Film Combined With Music Creates A Memorable Journey [Video]
- Forest Man: Inspirational True Story Of One Man’s Fight To Save His Island [Video]
- Banksy Street Art – The (Nearly) Complete Works Of Banksy. 200+ Images Capture His Best Work To Date
- Ghost Peloton: Cycling, Performance Art And Choreography To Celebrate Le Grande Depart, Yorkshire – Tour De France 2014
- Columbus, Ohio – Arts, Community And The Creative Fight Against Gentrification In Our Cities [Video]
- Animated Film, Ground Floor – Subjective City Of A Mistaken Mind [Video]
- A Battle For Peace: 60 Seconds Of Powerful Animated Film Forms Part Of A Memorable Tribute To The Centenary Of The Start Of The First World War [Video]
- War And Propaganda: Thought-Provoking Film/ Animation ‘Daddy Went Daddy Did’ – Inspired by The War Effort Slogan ‘Daddy What Did YOU Do In The Great War?’ [Video]
- A World Without Time – Stunning Time-Lapse Film Reveals The Ever-Changing Beauty Of Nature [Video]